PRESCRIPTION DRUG ABUSE IS A GROWING PROBLEM IN THE UNITED STATESAccording to the Partnership for a Drug-Free America:
According to the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy:
- 1 in 5 teens has abused a prescription pain medication
- 1 in 5 teens report abusing prescription stimulants and tranquilizers
- 1 in 10 teens have abused cough medication
Rx Drug Abuse· http://bit.ly/wdX4zJ - Printable flyer with topics that are important to talk to your teen about.· http://youtu.be/PuB4TL57K5g - Video· http://youtu.be/tFgtryL8PF0 - VideoPSA on Rx abuse· http://youtu.be/si3p8C0DiIY - Video· http://youtu.be/bIF3IEcTJJM - VideoHow to Dispose of Rx Drugs· http://youtu.be/u1JxQjlT3B4 - Video
- Though overall teen drug use is down nationwide, more teens abuse prescription drugs than any other illicit drug except marijuana – more than cocaine, heroin, and methamphetamine combined.
- Every day, 2,500 kids aged12-17 abuse a prescription painkiller for the first time and more people are getting addicted to prescription drugs.
- Drug treatment admissions for prescription painkillers increased more than 300 percent from 1995 to 2005.
- Teens are abusing prescription drugs because many believe the myth that these drugs provide a ”safe” high.
- Especially troubling is that the majority of teens who abuse prescription drugs say they are easy to get and are often free.
http://bit.ly/wb1NTt - Printable flyer with drug disposal information